Supervisor's office: 847-234-0802 | Assessor's office: 847-234-3485 | Highway Department: 847-234-0888
You can apply for a passport at the Shields Township Office, and your passport will be mailed to you by the U.S. Department of State. No appointment is needed for service at the Township.
Passport hours are:
9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Thursday
9:00 am to 11:30 am Friday
Visit travel.state.gov for more information or to download the application forms and fill them out in advance.
Regular processing takes four to six weeks. If you plan to depart in less than two weeks, or the passport is needed for foreign visas, application at a Regional Passport Agency, such as the one in Chicago, may be advised. An appointment will be required.
What you will need
- An application, available at the Shields Township Office.
- Your old passport (issued in the last 15 years) or a certified birth certificate or certificate of naturalization. All documents must be sealed, certified originals. No photocopies can be accepted.
- Valid photo ID: State ID and driver's license are both acceptable forms of identification. Your identification must include your photo, signature, issue date, and expiration date.
- One passport photo: Passport-specific photos are 2"x2" in size. It should be recent and show clear likeness, front view, full face, eyes open, with a plain white or light background.
- Forms of payment for the two separate fees (the "passport fee" and the "execution fee") involved in obtaining your passport through the Township Office (see below).
All children must be present to sign the application when applying for a passport. For children under 16, both parents must give consent, either in person or by written letter from the parent not able to appear. A birth certificate must be presented for all children when applying.
Fees must be in the form of a personal check, cashier's check, or money order payable to U.S. Department of State. No cash or debit or credit cards can be accepted.
Please call the Township office at 847-234-0802 for the latest fees, as set by the U.S. Department of State.
There are additional charges for rush processing and priority or express mail, if needed.
The execution fee is set by the U.S. Department of State. Personal check, cashier's check, or money order payable to Shields Township will be accepted. No cash or debit or credit cards can be accepted. Please call the Township office at 847-234-0802 for the latest fees.
All fees paid to Shields Township for passport services are donated to the Shields Township Food Pantry.
If your most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago, you can get a mail-in application at the Township Office or download the form online on the State Department's website. Get more information on passport renewal here.