Shields Township is hosting a passport event this Saturday from 9-12 noon.  Passport photos can also be taken at the same time in the office.  No appointment is necessary.  

Visit for more information or to download the application forms and fill them out in advance.

Regular processing takes four to six weeks; expedited processing, which takes two to three weeks, is available for an addition fee. If you plan to depart in less than two weeks, apply at the Chicago Passport Agency, 101 West Congress Parkway, 9th Floor, Chicago, IL 60605 (phone: 877-487-2778). Appointments available from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday – Wednesday and Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Thursday.

What you will need

An application, available at the Shields Township Office or online.
Your old passport (issued over 15 years ago) or a certified birth certificate or certificate of naturalization. All documents must be sealed, certified originals. No photocopies can be accepted.
Valid photo ID. State ID and driver's license are both acceptable forms of identification. Your identification must include your photo, signature, issue date, and expiration date.
One passport photo: Passport-specific photos are 2"x2" in size. It should be recent and show clear likeness, front view, full face, eyes open, with a plain white background.
Two checks or money orders: one payable to the US Department of State for the passport fee and the other payable to Shields Township for processing fees and passport photos. Cash, debit cards, and credit cards are NOT accepted.


Adult passport book: $110.00 (international travel)
Adult passport card: $30.00 (for use to Canada and Mexico while driving)
Child passport book (15 or younger): $80.00
Child passport card: $15.00
EXPEDITED fee for all passport books: add $60.00
Shields Township processing fee per person: $35.00
Passport photos: $12.00
There will be an additional cost for mailing expedited passports.

Passport renewals

If your most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago, you can get a mail-in application at the Township Office or download the form online on the State Department's website. Get more information on passport renewal here.